One of the things I was really anxious about when Nintendo announced Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D during today’s Nintendo Direct was how the game would translate over to the smaller 3DS screen. Fortunately, I was worrying for nothing: the game’s a bit more jagged due to the lower resolution, but seems to have survived the transition mostly intact.
It’s not the visual marvel that the original game was – even for a Nintendo handheld game – unless of course you count the fact that a Wii game actually can work on 3DS in the first place. I’m not sure how keen I am about the idea of bringing console games over to the portable – at least, it doesn’t seem like a sufficient replacement for games actually designed from the ground up for 3DS – but the game looks pretty nice, and the 3D visuals are a nice fit with the game’s strong environments.
Hop inside for the screenshots.
Catch up on all of today’s Nintendo Direct news:
- Nintendo Direct Feb 14: 2013 is the Year of Luigi
- Nintendo Direct Feb 14: New Super Mario Bros. U DLC is a New Luigi Campaign
- Nintendo Direct Feb 14: New Mario Golf Coming to 3DS
- Nintendo Direct Feb 14: Wii Street U is Available Today
- Nintendo Direct Feb 14: Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
- Nintendo Direct Feb 14: The Legend of Zelda Miiverse Community is Open for Business
- Nintendo Direct Feb 14: Animal Crossing New Leaf Release Date Set
- Nintendo Direct Feb 14: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D Headed to 3DS This Summer
- Nintendo Direct Feb 14: Fire Emblem Awakening Downloadable Content
- Nintendo Direct Feb 14: HarmoKnight For The Nintendo 3DS